How do we secure staff expertise in supporting and working with children/young people with SEND?
How do we secure staff expertise in supporting and working with children/ young people with SEND?
· Support from external agencies up-skilling staff.
· Bespoke training e.g. Makaton, Speech and Language, Dyslexia, Memory Retention work, Lego Therapy Training, Special Friends training etc. by sourcing appropriate to meet the needs of our children.
· Continuous in-house training e.g. up-skilling new and experienced staff through visits to other schools, staff meetings and designated inset days.
· Support from other experienced SENCO’s to improve practices in school.
· Specialist TA’s/HLTA’s leading specific areas of SEND Training to up-skill other TA’s
· Through Performance Management of both Teachers and Teaching Assistants we identify CPD requirements of all staff.
· Through employing specialist staff to work with our SEND children.
What arrangements do we have for supporting and improving the emotional and social development of children / young people with SEND?
- We value parent partnerships and they are at the heart of decision making in regards to SEND children.
- Links/referrals with external agencies if required.
- In-house: Class teacher/TA Support, Behaviour Support Groups, SEAL Materials along with other individualised programmes as and when required.
- Use of EHA/TAF meetings and individualised support plans.
- Running Lego Therapy and ‘Special Friends’ programmes, along with Mindfulness programmes to support child with emotional, social and mental health issues.