Shawlands Primary School!
Please see our Twitter feed below for 'latest news' and interactions...
Shawlands Primary School has been graded as 'Good' by Ofsted. Please see the January 2015 report below:
For upcoming dates and events please check the 'calendar' tab!
Latest Attendance News...
Shawlands Target 2014/15: 96-96.5%
Shawlands Actual 2014/15: 95.8% (end of week 19)
Class of the week:
Terrific Tigers (Y4) with 95.6%
We Love Reading!
Reading Mission Statement
Throughout Shawlands Primary School, we strive to create a culture for reading where every stakeholder harnesses a love of reading and a thirst for knowledge and creativity. We firmly believe that promoting a love of books it vital for continued progress as we believe literacy contributes to both school and life successes.
To achieve our mission statement, Shawlands Primary ensures that:
- All children have access to quality, age/phonic level appropriate books in school
- All children have reading records and access to appropriate books to take home and share with family and friends
- Classrooms are well stocked with age and level appropriate books, reading corners, listening stations and other ICT that supports reading
- We use QR codes with exciting interactive texts to access instantly
- The library is open before and after school to share stories and find books that interest the children
- New books and reading materials are sourced and children are invited to share books they have enjoyed and recommendations for future reading
- Competitions and challenges are run to encourage fun and family reading throughout school
- Paired reading with adults and older peers is used to support fluency and expression including volunteer parent readers
- World Book Day is celebrated and shared, as well as competitions and challenges being run to encourage a love of reading
- Reading and phonics workshops are run to support home reading. Support material to develop comprehension is also available for parents.
- Parents are involved with daily book swaps in KS1 classes
- Summer reading houses are open and well stocked for the children to use in the playground
Please read our new attendance and punctuality policy here!
Our new 'intro' video is coming soon featuring Mr McClure's 'Welcome to Shawlands!'
Breaking News: Our new website video will be designed, filmed and edited by Year 5...the brilliant Brainiacs!
Hello, I'm Mr McClure, the Head of School. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website!
This site has been prepared to help you and your child by explaining some of the workings and organisation of Shawlands Primary School. We welcome you most warmly and trust that your child’s time here will be both happy and beneficial in every aspect of their education.
You are always most welcome to visit the school and share our work and success. Shawlands Primary School is fortunate to have so many talented, caring and committed people among its staff, governors and parents. Please keep in touch with what is happening in your child’s school. We view you as active partners and need your informed support for the future and the changes it will bring. Our school has recently launched the 'Pupil Promise' that we are all working towards. This charter is set out below.
At Shawlands Primary we aim to live out our vision of ‘Better Together’, by:
- Having high aspirations/building an inclusive learning environment for all of our pupils and for ourselves as staff, parents, leaders, Governors or pupils
- Ensuring that staff, pupils and parents build effective, positive and strong relationships with the child’s best interests at heart
- Where there is a difference of opinion, we work together to find a common ground that will support and benefit the child(ren)
- Developing confident oral skills, to be a good and attentive listener and to have empathy with others
- Allowing children to work with others to nurture their skills, abilities and talents
- Where possible, to work with external experts to develop a wide range of significant skills
- Allowing staff to be committed to their own professional development and to ensure that all staff can give their children the best provision possible
- Preparing children for life after Shawlands; to be ready for the next stage of their educational development, to be an honest and decent citizen in our community, to be confident and sociable among friends and peers, to be kind and considerate of others
- Giving children the environment and care, guidance and support they need to reach their potential
- Caring for and helping those that are less fortunate than ourselves
- Being active, healthy and always ready to learn
- Promote independence among our pupils and give opportunities to mature and grow
Learning together is learning forever! Our 'Better Together' question of the month!
Who is your role model? Why do you like this person and respect their achievements? How has this person influenced you?
Comments (3)Show Comments
I love this school
Alex Turner: I want to be like him when him older and make great songs
Well done on ofsted GOOD I know how hard everyones worked to achieve this - congratulations